The Luck of the Weissensteiners
Christoph Fischer

A well executed execution

Locked Room - A Katla KillFile (Amsterdam Assassin Series) - Martyn V. Halm

Until now, the closest I came to reading crime fiction was Roberto Bolano's The Skating Rink. That being said, I've seen enough of Martyn Halm on the GR threads to grow at least a bit curious about his writing. And while I dislike reading books on the PC (no Kindle here), the Locked Room is a short read, so I gave it a go.

So, having little to no experience with suspense fiction, I did not know what to expect. For the uninitiated, such as myself, the author does a great job explaining tools and procedures I would not have known otherwise. To explain: I tried reading an unrelated book once, but it was full of references and speech I could not relate to. With the Locked Room, nevertheless, Mr. Halm not only pulled me in to the story, but he also gave me the right amount of subtle explanations as to what was what.

Katla came across as effective in her line of work, and well-versed in the tools of her trade. Her lack of conscience was clearly portrayed, and the entire story seemed completely plausible.

I'll say congratulations to Katla on a well executed mission, and to Martyn Halm on creating a lethal female character.