The Luck of the Weissensteiners
Christoph Fischer

The Myth of Sisyphus: And Other Essays

The Myth of Sisyphus: And Other Essays - Albert Camus This was my third Camus, and certainly not the last one. Yet, to be completely honest, I did not enjoy this book as much as I enjoyed The Stranger, and The First Man. Why? There were many points Mr. Camus made that I disagreed with. Then again, this book was an essay, and essays are opinions. I struggled with the absurd, with Sisyphus. I am of the view that suicide always has to remain an option, and while the world is indeed absurd, it is not the absurdity that gives life its meaning. For me the book took a turn for the better with the essays on Drama and Conquerors. Camus' portrayal of the actor, his struggle and absurdity was much more meaningful. Algiers and Oran were my favorite pieces within this volume. Why? - perhaps the hopeless romantic in me (yes, it is hidden somewhere deep in me) could relate to those themes much better. In Oran, I found joy and simplicity. I found a tone I myself employ - seeing the beauty in the absurd moments, in simplicity of everyday life. Perhaps this is why I rejoiced once I read past the Myth of Sisyphus, and delved into the subsequent texts.
Overall, this is a very engaging read which will stimulate the brain and spark interesting conversations. Existentialism and absurdity can be related; nevertheless, I see myself finding a slightly different meaning in each of them.